Valentine’s day sucks,
So I bought flowers; ate them.
Now it is the shit.
FINAL STANDINGS (see below standing for a breakdown of each bout)
1. (1 finals) Macalester College (116.2)
2. (2 finals) Washington University (114.8)
3. (3 finals) New York University (112.2)
4. (4 finals) University of Minnesota–Twin Cities (109.2)
5. (3 semi-finals) University of San Francisco (-2)
6. (3 semi-finals) Eastern Michigan University (-2.2)
7. (4 semi-finals) Wesleyan University (-2)
8. (4 semi-finals) North Carolina A&T State University (-5)
9. (5 semi-finals) Hamline University (-5.9)
10. (5 semi-finals) Stanford University (-11.6)
11. (3) Yale University (-6.0)
12. (4) SUNY College at Oneonta (-1.5)
13. (4) Central Michigan University (-1.9)
14. (4) University of Wisconsin-Madison (-2.4)
15. (4) University of California-Santa Cruz (-2.5)
16. (4) University of California-Berkeley (-3.4)
17. (4) SUNY College at Geneseo (-4.6)
18. (4) Brandeis University (-8)
19. (5) Middlebury College (-5.7)
20. (5) Barnard College (-5.8, 222.2)
21. (5) Brown University (-5.8, 215.2)
22. (5) Emory University (-7.4)
23. (5) Davidson College (-9)
24. (6) Lewis & Clark College (-2.6)
25. (6) California State University-Northridge (-8.5)
26. (6) Haverford College (-10.5)
27. (7) Berklee College of Music (-2.4)
28. (7) University of Pennsylvania (-5.1)
29. (7) Carleton College (-5.4)
30. (7) Western Illinois University (-6.4)
31. (7) University of Washington (-8)
32. (7) SUNY New Paltz (-12.6)
33. (7) Emerson College (-13.3)
34. (8) The Ohio State University (-4.2)
35. (8) University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (-7.4)
36. (8) Kalamazoo College (-12.9)
37. (8) Occidental College (-14.7)
You couldn’t understand how carefully these hands
thumbed those blue eyes into you.
How I pulled your mother, by one finger
onto the island of your father’s birth.
I beat her towards him
with the two legs of the woman I left her for.
If I were honest,
Id say the first trimester of your lives
weren’t devoid of nightmares,
set to the tune of thumping stairwells.
A rush of black blood down the shower drain
in a bathroom I’d never seen.
The one where your father hangs his towels.
Your arrival was a haunting.
At night I heard one of you crawl out from under
the half-empty bed.
I heard the other rustling in the gutted drawers.
You were a fourteen pound bag of nails.
A great black bird nesting in my hair.
You may never again hear our story,
your mother’s and i.
The first night we met, in college,
she moved into my room.
That is no lyric.
No metaphor for a courtship.
We were inseparable as two identical shades of blue.
For the next five years
we never slept apart.
Most nights our noses touched until morning.
That is not poetry.
We were a single house.
A monocellular organism.
This, however, is not about she and I.
I will not belabor you the tale
of the last time your blessed mother will have her heart broken
This is about you
And how I pray that you take the gift
of not being my sons,
and never allow yourself to do
The things I have done.
Learn how to make a graceful exit.
How to fail,
to be spilled milk,
Not the boots of a butcher,
stamping across an opened calf,
smeared over a parquet floor.
Be thankful for your mother.
She is an unknown quality
A version of light beyond science
Her generosity will make men of you.
I do not use your names here,
not because I would’ve chosen them differently,
but for I would be too ashamed to have this rabble
sully the guts of that angel again.
Be grateful -
Everyday - for her.
For a long time,
I was too.
so. ive tried writing this for two weeks. and have several massive drafts. but none of them are right. so instead, ill say this as simply and plainly as possible.
I love you Aziza
I love you Danny
I love you Eric
I love you Matt
I love you Michelle
I love you Safia
I love you Steph
I love you Tonya
You have made me…so proud. In the midst of the hell that was this winter, each of you were the only consistently bright lights. I can not say any plainer how much i owe you each. I am, indebted to you, for your work, your commitment, your love for one another, and for me.
I just couldnt be proud of a team. Couldnt be prouder of 8 humans. Your futures are fucking absurd.
six foot. seven foot.
with absolutely zero consistency can i sort out how to post to tumblr with line breaks. really want to show something new, but cant, till one of you figures out a way to get my frigging line breaks to stay as intended.
cupsi retrospect also in the works.